Carterton Railway Museum
Te Whare Rerewe o Carterton
Home of the Wairarapa Railway Restoration Society Inc.
Porihanga Whakaora Rerѐwe o te Wairarapa
a
Home    Museum   Events    Membership    Rolling Stock    Pin Ups    Archives    Links    Articles    Contact Us & Map

  Home

  Museum

  Events

  Membership

  Rolling Stock

  Pin Ups

  Archives

  Links

  Articles

  Contact Us & Map




             
       130th anniversary cake & model of the station                              Six person motor trolley


Museum

The Carterton Railway Museum is open every Sunday between 11am and 4pm.
Other times are available by arrangement.


Station Displays

Many photographs.

Artefacts used by railway staff over many years.

A display by the 'Carterton and District Historical Society'.

Aspects of railway signalling, including an operating electric tablet system which operated in New Zealand for 96 years and ceased operation on the 4th July 1994. This was the last operating tablet between Featherston and Woodville.


Yard and Workshop

Six wagons, the oldest built in 1910.

The historic Waingawa Station. The society saved the building from demolition and moved it to the Carterton precinct in 1991.

The Society locomotive TR724, stored off site at present.

One six-person motor trolley, currently under restoration.


A Brief History of the Precinct

1879     The construction of the station building started.
1880     March. The construction was completed. Total cost £522.
1880     November 1st. The line from Woodside to Masterton was completed.


1899     The platform veranda was added.
1924     The portico on the street side was added.
1988     The last staff member departed and the station became unattended.


1989     The goods shed was removed.
1994     July 4th. The tablet signally system was removed.
1999     A travel agent started selling tickets from the station.


2002     September. The semaphore signals at both ends were removed.
2005     A celebration of the station's 125th anniversary.
2007     March to September. The platform was ungraded for the new Wairarapa carriages.


2010     A celebration of the station's 130th anniversary.
2011     The historic men's toilet block was reopened for use by excursions.

 

Website designed by CJ Consulting Ltd